Sustainability LeaderBusiness Unit Carrier Job ID 30082368 City Charlotte State North Carolina Country United States
Country:United States of America
Location:CAN02: CCS-Charlotte, NC 5900 Northwoods Business Pkwy, Charlotte, NC, 28269 USA
Carrier is a leading provider of heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration systems, building controls and automation, and fire and security systems, leading to safer, smarter, sustainable, and high-performance buildings. As Carrier emerges as an independent, standalone company, the Carrier Global Engineering organization is transforming. This new multi-site organization will ensure Carrier’s lead position in the market through investments in advanced research, technologies, and methods that will shape the future of our products.
Willis Carrier invented the first modern air-conditioning system in 1902 and changed how people live, work, and play. Today, Carrier needs your talent to build upon this legacy and deliver what’s next for the modern world.
The candidate will lead Design for Sustainability for Carrier Engineering as part of the central World Head Quarters Engineering Methods organization.
With a renewed focus at Carrier on Sustainability and aggressive 2030 ESG goals, the leader will define and deploy methods, tools, and processes for design engineering to support these key initiatives with a focus on Design for Sustainability. This involves ensuring that all product development and engineering design efforts across the business consider and drive concerns related to sustainability in support of our 2030 ESG goals and sustainability vision. The leader will coordinate within global engineering teams in all business units and across functions to ensure that these methods, including all identified Design for Sustainability approaches, are integrated with the Carrier product development, innovation, and sustaining engineering processes. They will deploy and track an efficient set of metrics to measure performance and progress.
This leader will project manage reporting progress to Gigaton goal including monthly progress, creation of a dashboard, and glide path creation between now and 2030. The global Gigaton goal team consists of engineering representatives from each BU, sales and marketing, ESG team members, and Digital representatives.
The leader will also assist in the development and deployment of processes that support obtaining various internationally recognized global sustainability certifications for our products across multiple portfolios, deliver expertise in accredited green labeling and certifications, life cycle analysis (LCA), circularity, materials optimization, methods to reduce and track greenhouse gas emission, and energy usage for products and restricted substances. This includes processes to assure product compliance to relevant regulatory codes and standards and maintain close partnerships with legal and operations in areas such as restricted substances and product chemicals and regulatory compliance.
Key Job Responsibilities:
Define and deploy product development and engineering design methods, processes, tools, and approaches across Carrier Engineering to drive focus on Design for Sustainability
Lead execution of enterprise sustainability goals in the engineering and product development functions
- Develop and deploy a strategy for integrating Design for Sustainability into all engineering processes from innovation through product development and sustaining engineering.
- Deploy a training and awareness campaign to align the organization on sustainability verbiage and definitions with a focus on how sustainability should be incorporated into engineering designs.
- Coach and advise the engineering teams on best practices, lessons learned, and industry trends around sustainability and materials of concern.
- Lead the definition and reporting of Carrier-wide engineering sustainability performance metrics. This includes calculation model alignment, data collection from each product family, dashboard creation, and coordination with the ESG function.
- Develop a program to support the business unit engineering teams in sustainability and green certifications, life cycle analysis (LCA), environmental product declarations, and other sustainability certifications.
- Manage regulatory compliance for materials and chemicals including data management, reporting, analysis of new regulations, and coordination with all BU engineering teams
- Regularly communicate to executive management and key stakeholders on related strategy, programs, and progress
Experience / Qualifications:
- Skilled in influence without authority and proven experience in developing and deploying strategic initiatives across a complex global organization
- Experience designing products within a global engineering organization and an understanding of engineering design processes and methods
- Background in sustainability or materials engineering
- Understanding of the development and management of product lifecycle artifacts and data and how they relate to manufacturing, supply chain, and service
- Exceptional program management skills
- An ability to lead seasoned resources and provide meaningful challenges to each team member
- Strong communication & networking skills. Must possess the ability to prioritize and communicate across a diverse set of business customers across a global organization. Must be able to communicate effectively from executives to engineers.
- Programmatic skills to assess what is not working and what needs to be done, to create plans in place for direction, and to implement lessons learned/best practices.
- An understanding of LCA concepts, green certifications, and global substance restriction legislation (i.e., RoHS, REACh, CA Prop 65) preferred
BS in Engineering or related field with a minimum of 10 years’ experience.
Carrier is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Job Applicant's Privacy Notice:
Click on this link to read the Job Applicant's Privacy Notice
This position may not be performed remotely in Westchester County, Ithaca or New York City at this time.